The Division of Aquaculture is responsible for implementing Chapter 597, Florida Aquaculture Policy Act, Florida Statutes, through:
- Developing and enforcing regulations governing: Commercial aquaculture and shellfish (clams, oysters and mussels) harvesting and processing.
- Leasing of coastal state submerged land for aquacultural purposes (shellfish or fish aquaculture).
- Creating and maintaining oyster reefs.
- Providing practical and technical assistance concerning regulations, production information (species and systems), financial assistance, and educational programs.
- Certifying and inspecting shellfish processing plants to maintain compliance with the National Shellfish Sanitation Program (N.S.S.P.).
- Classifying and monitoring shellfish harvesting areas, in accordance with the standards set forth in the N.S.S.P.
The Act also created an advisory council to the Commissioner of Agriculture, Aquaculture Review Council, that the Division administratively supports.
To make a suggestion, comment or file a complaint regarding the services provided by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, go to the Customer Service Submission Form.